Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Severe itching and over the body and faces, worst in the…

Customer Question
severe itching and over the...
severe itching and over the body and faces, worst in the evening? Already I got it for 3 weeks. Now my dog starts to scratch too. It looks like hives. I already saw an MD. She didn't say anything except antihistamine meds.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/22/2010
Health Professional: DrOAB, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
DrOAB
DrOAB, Doctor (MD)

Hello from JustAnswer!

You are offline, so I'll leave my thoughts.

You did not report where these hive-like bumps are most prominent or if they persist or fade over time. You could upload an image using the "tree" icon to the right of the emoticon smiley.

For severe itching, instead of an antihistamine alone, I often add an H2 antagonist medication (e.g., cimetidine). Ask your doctor about this combination treatment option.

If your dog is itching as well without visible fleas, then this could be a shared contact irritant or perhaps microscopic scabies mites. If your doctor suspects the latter, then an overnight head-to-toe skin treatment with prescription Elimite cream may eradicate the mites (be aware that itching can persist for weeks after anti-mite cream use until the skin sheds the mites).

As the itching and/or hives have persisted beyond 2 weeks, ask your doctor to consider tests to rule out an organic cause: if indicated, complete blood count, kidney function tests, liver function tests, thyroid function tests, iron level, stool studies for parasites, chest x-ray (looking for evidence of lymphoma).

DrOAB
DrOAB, Doctor (MD)

I suspect it scabies bite. But I thougth human scabies wont spread to animal?

My hives ran away from areas. Scabies rash wont go beyon neck. Mine is over the neck

There is no need to reply to this follow-up post.

Scabies mites are species-specific, but they can spread to an incorrect host and perhaps live for a short time. Scabies infestation can involve the scalp, face, and neck -- Elimite treatment failure can occur when the patient does not apply the cream to these areas. I am not certain what you mean by 'my hives ran away from areas', but the antihistamine-H2 antagonist combination often works better than an antihistamine alone for hives. Thank you for the Accept, and I hope you find some relief soon!