Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I've increasing concern about head bobbing and shaking. It…

Customer Question
Hello, I've increasing concern about...
Hello, I've increasing concern about head bobbing and shaking. It feels like side to side and my daughter calls me bob when I'm at the computer or concentrating on something. What could be the cause? how do I minimize and fix this? I'm only 44 and its scaring me as its been around for a few years??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/22/2010
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 8 years ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Without knowing what is causing the head bobbing there is no way to know how to attempt to eliminate it. Your doctor or a neurologist would be able to give you a diagnosis. It can range from too much caffeine, anxiety, to benign essential tremor to early Parkinson's to any number of other things.

I do know this, my fathers mother and my father have had similar bobbing. I'm guessing its familial, but I'm interested in finding supplements, foods, and or exercises to minimize this to the fullest, I"m also going to persue this to confirm its is not any other diagnoses. Do you have any further information on what would be the order of imortance to continue?

There are no supplements, foods, or exercise to minimize this. Since it is in your family, it probably is familial tremor. Still you need to rule out things like Parkinson's. The importance of ruling out other more serious things like Parkinson's is that the longer you delay treating them, the worse they get. While there aren't any supplements, etc. there are things you can avoid that will help such as caffeine, smoking, medications that include stimulants (decongestants, for instance). Your doctor can prescribe medication to help control the tremors so you aren't self-conscious about them. There are several different kinds of medications, and sometimes finding the one that helps any individual person is trial and error. What works for one person may be a total dud for the next person.