Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am not sure when one decides if one needs help or not. I…

Customer Question
I am not sure when...
I am not sure when one decides if one needs help or not. I every night have a glass or two of wine to drink. I get home, i am nervous and anxious, and i have a drink. Some nights worse than others. I have always had problems sleeping, if I get to bed at night before 2 its early. At about one in the morning I nibble, and then I feel terrible in the morning. I have gained weight, I have tried not to eat and drink. I never drink during the day, I don't wake up in the morning and think of having one, I just don't. I sleep late, get up and come to work. I have a lovely home, loving husband and a great child. But recently I feel like its getting worse. Not sure if now is the time I must get help, or if help can be given to me.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/22/2010
Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

The one or two glasses of wine per day IF THIS IS AN ACCURATE representation of your pattern of consumption then this in and of itself is not a problem. Low to moderate consumption of alcohol may actually have benefits to your health. It may lower the risk of heart disease as it has some effect to raise the HDL or "good" cholesterol. Steady patterns of low consumption of alcohol has been shown in some studies to actually have a benefit to overall health.

Now on the other hand we have been taught since medical school than there is a general tendency that people have to under-estimate their consumption of alcohol. If your drinking was higher in amount than you estimated then there is a dose dependent rise in risk to your health. It is the healthiest category to have a regular low amount of alcohol. The next healthiest group would be those with zero intake. Those with large amounts of alcohol consumption do suffer from toxic effects of alcohol. In higher degrees of consumption alcohol is toxic to the heart, brain and liver.

Now separate from the issue of alcohol your history does suggest a couple of problems. You sound that you are probably depressed and anxious. There is the issue of weight gain which would not be good for you either. You didn't indicate how much overweight that you are.

The insomnia is a problem that you could probably get help with. It sounds to me that you would benefit from a check up or complete physical to screen for problems(weight, blood pressure, blood sugar metabolism, cholesterol, thyroid function , etc) It is always best to seek out any brewing problems and deal with them early rather than to wait for symptoms or more complicated issues down the road.

I hope this information is helpful for you. If you have further questions then I will be happy to get back with you. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD