Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am a female, 34 and overweight with severe anxiety. I

Customer Question
I am a female, 34...
I am a female, 34 and overweight with severe anxiety. I continue to have pain on the side of my left breast that goes to my back. It is not consistant. It also has been happening on and off for days. What can be causing this? Is it a heart attack?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/21/2010
Health Professional: RAJESH CHAUHAN, Doctor replied 8 years ago
RAJESH  CHAUHAN

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Could you please help me understand your problem by giving me the following details:

1) For how long are you having these problems?

2) Any other symptoms/ significant medical issues or history?

3) Seen your doctor for this and what did she/he tell you? Any tests/ investigations?

Thanks. Shall be waiting for your reply.

I have been suffering with severe anxiety for over 8 years. As for the pain on the left side of my breast, it has been a little over a week. With my anxiety I have dizziness on a daily basis, which I have had for over 2 years now. My ankles and feet have been swollen, on and off for a year now. I currently take lexapro 10mg and klonopin .25 mg twice a day, for my anxiety and take toprol 50mg for a rapid pulse. i see my dr regarding my anxiety, but nothing is working. It did not pay any attention to my swollen ankles, told me its ok. but i have not been to the dr in some time becuase i have no insurance.

Because of my anxiety I fear this pain could be a heart attack.

Thanks.

(a) Any ear problems?

(b) Any pain/ stiffness in the neck?

(c) Any dizziness while turning your head/ bending/ rotating/ etc?

(d) How long does this chest pain lasts?

(e) Any problems of acid reflux?

(g) Do you smoke/ consume alcohol/ indulge in excess with coffee or tea or other caffeinated beverages?

(h) Are you anemic? How much was your hemoglobin? When was it checked the last time?

(i) Was your thyroid profile tested? Was it found OK?

(k) Any liver or kidney issues?

A- No ear problem. Have been to two ENT's and found nothing but cronic rhynitis-also had a eng done.

B-No pain in the neck, sometimes have a little when I get a headache

C-I get dizziness when I bend, move my eyes, my head. Sometimes when I am driving, and I come to a stop I feel like I am still moving.

D. It does not last long, it comes and goes. Hurt last week, no pain over the weekend, and then hurt again this morning, right now no pain.

E. No

F. (tehre is no F)

G-I smoke about a pack a day. I also have two cups of coffee in the morning and one or two diet cokes in the afternoon.

H-All blood work is normal

I-Thyroid tested twice in two months, was close to being high, but still within normal range.

J-No liver or kidney problems that I am aware of? How can I tell?

Thanks for all the additional details. . Although theoretically there could be so many possibilities, but having gone through your descriptions I believe that once you check in with your doctor, which you must, besides checking your heart your doctor would be considering would be considering the following possibilities (and probably some more, depending on the clinical):

(a) Esophageal spasm (which might be getting aggravated by smoking)

(b) Indigestion/dyspepsia

(c) Anxiety would be aggravating this issue, as would the caffeinated drinks that you are taking

(d) Thyroid issue

(e) Toprol

For getting to a conclusion, a clinical is a must, as a heart problem can not be ruled out by your history/ description alone. Please check in with your doctor for these symptoms.

I hope that this information helps. Please feel free to inquire if you have any remaining concerns/ doubts, as it shall be a privilege and a pleasure to try and help as much as I can.

Best wishes.

I will contact my doctor and speak with him regarding it. But do I need to worry that it is a heart attack or something serious going on within my body?

With a persisting problem like this, we need to get it checked up. Sooner, the better, although it does not seems like a heart issue from your descriptions, but then nothing can be certain unless examined, for which you need to check in with your doctor. The other problems have also to be looked into.

Best wishes.