Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I just a a very sharp quick shooting pain in the center of…

Customer Question
I just a a very...
I just a a very sharp quick shooting pain in the center of my chest, I also was having what I think were heart palpitations on and off all day. the palpitation i feel is just below the sternum. Are these heart palpitations and what should I do about the sharp pain. I get them often ususlly on the left side up this one hurt real bad and was in the center. They usually only last a few seconds. Could there be something wrong with my heart. I have had an echo, and an ekg. Should i have a stress test done or anything else
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/21/2010
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 8 years ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. If the pain is under the bottom of your sternum, it probably is not your heart. An ecg or echo usually would show up any heart problems, but a stress echo is the best test to have. In someone 28 years old, anxiety or muscle spasm are far more likely causes of palpitations and chest pain.

The palpitation i feel is under the sternum. could that be a stomach or digestive thing then. The pain i felt was up between the breast. Is that ok?

It can be digestive, gas, etc. Between the breasts is more likely to be muscular.

I know anxiety can cause a lot of the other symptoms I feel. I went last week to get my hormone levels tested, they called today and said everything was normal. So does that mean I dont have anxiety or can anxiety be caused by something else other then an imbalance of your hormones

Anxiety disorder has nothing to do with hormones. It is caused by an imbalance of brain neurotransmitters and they are not measurable. Anxiety is treatable with medication and cognitive behavioral therapy which is a talk therapy designed to make you aware of what physical symptoms anxiety is causing in your body and to control them.

Sorry I keep asking questions just one more thing, I got the paper work from all the blood work labs today and everything was in normal range except for thyroide peroxidase ab it says 140 out of range and normal reference range is listed at less then 35. It seems very high. Could I have a thyroid problem even though other levels for thyroid is in the normal range. I was referred to an encro..... (sorry dont know how to spell it.) I have heard that thyroid problems can cause a lot of same symptoms as anxiety. Thank you for all your answers and help

When a thyroid is bad enough to cause anxiety symptoms, the TSH and free T4 will also be out of range. Having higher than normal antibodies won't cause symptoms.