Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have been having severe lower abdominal painsfor a few…

Customer Question
I have been having severe...
I have been having severe lower abdominal painsfor a few years now. There are times when I can hardly stand it. It normally causes my back to hurt, and the doctors say it is
making the pain go to my pain...referred pain is what they call it.
Yesterday started out with this pain, but it is moving up my left side, and up under the ribs.
Please help me. I have got to start working, and I babysit my granddaughter.
I suffer from severe recurrent depression. I take pristic, klonazapam, lithium, & welbutrin xl.
I have had this pain for years. It is the reason I had a hysterectomy.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Teresa
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/19/2010
Health Professional: Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 8 years ago
Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner

Does the pain worsen before having a bowel movement?
Are your stools soft? Constipation?
Which side is the pain on?
Did the hysterectomy help?

It has nothing to do with my bowel movements. I have ibs, and am lucky to have a bowel movement at least once every 2-3 weeks. I had three on Tuesday...very unusual.

I get regularly colonsocopy's. They found a precancerous polyp, and now the give me yearly colonoscopies.

my stools are very hard. I have been put on three laxitives that I used regularly, but that did not help.

The npain is normally all the way across the bottom of my stomach. Yesterday it hurt mainly on the left side, and the pain was going up higher, and up under my left rib.

my bowel movements may start out hard & then it starts to be very runny.

hysterectomy did not help the in any way.

Thanks for replying.

This pain sounds like it is related to the IBS, when you get constipated soft stools can leak around the hard stool that could be blocking in the intestines. Usually the pain is located on the left side of the abdomen so that makes a lot of sense.

I know that this is not a fun "disease" to have and it really requires lots of diet changes.

THis is the laxatives that work for most people by taking all at the same time:
Miralax - twice a day
Senna - as directed on the bottle
Magnesium - 1 tab three times a day.

Then after you get results, you can add daily fiber con.

If the pain continues to worsen, then you may need a CT to make sure you don't have a bowel blockage.