Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have been experiencing a sharp pain in my left hand (I am…

Customer Question
I have been experiencing a...
I have been experiencing a sharp pain in my left hand (I am right handed). It began during the night and was so sharp it woke me up. Centralized around my 'pinkie' and could be relieved by pulling the finger sideways away from the palm. No stiffness, no swelling. During the day I haven't felt it at all but it reoccurs the next night. This has been going on for about 4 days.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/18/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question .
Do you have pain in pinky finger ?
Numbness and tingling sensation ?
Are other fingers involved?
Do you feel symptoms only at night ?
Neck stiffness ?
Any history of trauma ?
Any history of arthritis ?
Pain is pretty much just in the pinky. No numbness or tingling. The symptoms so far are only felt at night in fact no problems noticed at all during the day. No neck stiffness. Trauma to hand? no I am adopted so I do not have a family history regarding arthritis. Hope this helps.
Well as you describe there may be possibility of pinched nerve (Ulnar nerve entrapment ).
This can occur due to the pressure of the ligament over the elbow, pressing on the nerve.
Other possible causes include -
Arthritis
So it is advised to consult your regular doctor first for a clinical examination and undergo Complete Blood count , ESR , RA factor, Nerve conduction velocity test for further evaluation and management .If required , your doctor may refer you to either Orthopedist or Neurologist for further evaluation .
In the meantime you can use wrist/ elbow splint at night .
Take OTC Motrin .
I hope this helps.