Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I had a very bad throat infection in mid march i believe it…

Customer Question
Hi I had a very...
Hi I had a very bad throat infection in mid march i believe it was strep throat due to participating in oral sex. I had a swollen lymph node in my neck as a result of the infection on my left side and it still has not gone down as yet. It's not painful and i only remember that its there if i feel for it and i have a very tiny one lower on my neck. Should i be worried about this, because I am kind of beginning to panic....
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/18/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Let me at the outset tell you that this is not likely to be worrying. Lymph nodes gets enlarged due to infection and they remain enlarged for very significant time, even after the infection has completely subsided. Having said that; you may get a complete blood count and peripheral blood smear done. Your physician may consider getting a very small procedure called as FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology; in this a needle is put in the lymph node) and that will tell about the benign nature of the lymph nodes.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun