Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a question in regards to caffeine overdose. I was in…

Customer Question
I have a question in...
I have a question in regards ***** ***** overdose. I was in Vegas and drank an excessive amount of Red Bull and vodka - stupid i know. After the last drink my heart rate went out of control and it began pounding. I believe this sent me into an anxiety attack - i felt shaky and dizzy and hands and feet were sweaty. My heart remained at an accelerated rate for quite some time - hours. This occured on Saturday and as of today i still feel "off". my heart beat is more prominent however it is slowed to a normal pace. I am still dizzy.
Should i go and get my heart check by a physician. I am worried that the mass amount of caffeine hurt my heart or I had a heart attack
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/17/2010
Health Professional: CamilleRN, Nurse (RN) replied 8 years ago
CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. You are most likely experiencing anxiety after such a terrifying experience... Anxiety can cause alterations in breathing patterns and it may be that you are holding your breath or breathing too rapidly which can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. The next time this happens there is something you can do...initiate proper breathing. You can help alleviate the feeling of shortness of breath secondary to incorrect breathing by changing your breathing pattern to abdominal breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatique and more shortness of breath) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale showly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation. Do this three breaths at a time. Breathing correctly will immediately eliminate anxiety...., every time. If it comes back do it again. Definitely plan to get adequate sleep. Sleeping is so important for over all well being. I hope this information helps you. If I can help further just let me know
You do not feel that the dizziness and pains I feel are something to be alarmed about? the muscles in my back are incredibly sore and I have a pulling sensation in my chest from my breast bone.
I am also experiencing tingling in my hands and pain in my left shoulder

In consideration of the information you provided, it is likely anxiety, however caffeine, in high doses ( and in some people even low doses) is known to cause cardiac arrythmias. I would recommend , for your peace of mind, that you see your Doctor so he can examine you and provide any necessary treatment.

But as a professional these symptoms do not alarm you to the point where i need to call 911?... I guess whats ridiculous is i am afraid I had a heart attack. I appreciate you help very much
no... I dont think your situation warrants a call to 911, but to be on the safe side, a trip to the ER is in order so that you can be examined, diagnosed and treated, if necessary. (Tests can be performed to rule out any heart damage).
Relist: would like a second opinion.
would like a second opinion
Health Professional: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
DearCustomer
Hello.The energy drink Red bull contains about 80mgms of Caffiene apart from Taurine,Glucoronolactone,Phenylalanine,sucrose and vitamin B,Repeated intake of this drink can cause caffienism,this is a unpleasant physical and mental condition brought about by intake of too much caffiene.There is palpitations,anxiety,nervousness,irritability,muscle twitching,tremelousness,insomnia,respiratory alkalosis and headache.Severe gastritis and GERD may also be seen.If you also had Vodka as VKs,a drink which also contains caffiene you are at a high risk due to overstimulation of the heart.You need to see a doctor immediately as you are not feeling well.Going to the ER,or calling for a ambulance is definitely definitely on as the problem may be extremely serious and life threatening.As matters have not settled completely down,you need to contact your Doctor/Physician urgently.You are a better judge of the problem as you know the severity of the problem.