Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My doctor has diagnosed me as deficient in Vitamin D. She…

Customer Question
My doctor has diagnosed me...
My doctor has diagnosed me as deficient in Vitamin D. She has put me on a weekly dose of 50,000 units. I have had 4 doses so far. She prescribed 3 months of this and then is to recheck my levels. Since being on this I have found that I have a lot of muscle aching in my legs. I did read that that was a possible side effect. I don't even know what my number was or how deficient I am. My question is, would it be okay to discontinue taking the megadose tablet and just begin taking like 1,000 or 2,000 units a day instead?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/17/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Greetings.

Yes. You can take 1,000 units per day which is sufficient to treat Vitamin D deficiency. That should be able to take care of your muscle ache.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

I think you misunderstand. I believe the muscle ache is due to the megadose of vitamin D. Have you ever heard of that?