Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I want to stop taking Geodon But I have side effects when I…

Customer Question
I want to stop taking...
I want to stop taking Geodon But I have side effects when I don't take it. If Idont take it at night, I have to take it in the morning, and I am nauseous for over an hour until it kicks in. If I take it at night. I get very weak and nauseous about 4:00 PM.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/15/2010
Health Professional: Susan RN, Nurse replied 8 years ago
Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse

Hello jacustomer kqp9wkhi, I will do my best to help you find answers.

I do have some questions for you so I can get a better overall idea of your general health and well-being.

What other medical conditions do you have?

What other medicines do you take including over the counter and herbals?

What are you taking the geodon for?

Have you talked to your doctor about the issues you are having with the geodon?

I will await your response. Thank you in advance.

I started taking Geodon several years ago. It was presribed for depression. But since I started taking Wellbrutrin I have been fine. I am also taking ativan, trazadone, welchol, and tricor. I don't have prescription drug coverage or health insurance.

have you already stopped taking the geodon? or are you wanting to stop taking it? Have you tried decreasing the dose slightly to wean off of it?
I originally was took 2 a day. Then I had no problems. When I went to one a day is when I started with the problems. I am trying to stop taking it. But so far I am even having problems with one a day.

Thank you for the information. I would say that even though you don't have health insurance your best course of action would be to contact the doctor who prescribes your meds and see what they say. They may have something you can take to help the symptoms. You will also want to keep in mind that with the combination of meds you list you state you are doing fine, but when you take away something from that combination, you could have some symptoms return so you want to be careful. I am sorry I don't have a quick fix for your symptoms I just want you to be safe.

Thank you for allowing me to try and help you. If you feel that the information helped, please click the green accept button. If you would like for someone else to try and answer your question, let me know and I will opt out. Thank you.

I need more help. The therapist who prescribed the medication has retired. I don't have anyone exept my family doctor who wouldn't know anything about this. Please check with other experts
Health Professional: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
DearCustomer
Hello.Geodon or Ziprasidone is a antipsychotic/antimanic drug used in schizoaffective disorders.It is a potentially dangerous drug as it can cause cardiac arrhythmias apart from other serious problems.The drug should be used only under medical supervision of a Psychiatrist.It needs to be withdrawn and only under the treatment of a mental health professional.I suggest you talk to your doctor/Psychiatrist about it.It would be inappropriate to comment further on this matter ,as it will need the help of a specialist.