Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Recently I went to a clinic for a service and while there I…

Customer Question
Recently I went to a...
Recently I went to a clinic for a service and while there I had a finger prick done for a blood sample and also had a shot. When I went into the exam room I noticed blood on the floor and I freaked out that i stepped in it with my bare feet. I did not have any open wounds though. I looked and I didn't see anything on them. After I left I went to work and noticed what I think was a small spot of dry blood on my foot. Not thinking I took an alcohol pad and wiped it off with the finger that had been pricked. Its been a little over 3 weeks since the visit and a few days ago I got a pretty bad headache that last about 2 days. The first day of the headache I threw up twice and felt just a little achey. The second day I had diarrhea 2 or 3 times. I am very nervous that I have contracted HIV either from the blood on the floor or a bad needle. Does blood have to be present and wet on a needle to contract HIV? My symtons lasted about 3 days. I am extremely nervous.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/14/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

The transmission of HIV in this way has not been documented and does not occur. Virus die very fast with environmental exposure and thus blood contact of this kind is not likely to transmit the HIV. Please do not worry at all.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun