Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My skin on my arms have developed KP and i have struggled…

Customer Question
My skin on my arms...
My skin on my arms have developed KP and i have struggled with acne on my face or 2 years now. It is constantly red and breaking out, it gets oily as well. I have tried antibiotics and it eventually stops working.
My question is, if i have never taken a probiotic, can bad bacteria eventually take over for good? Will good bacteria ever replenish itself? I know antibiotics kill off both, but could it be bad bacteria in my gut that has taken over for good? Will probiotics be the way to clear up my skin problems?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/13/2010
Health Professional: Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN) replied 8 years ago
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)

Hello and thank you for returning to JA with your question.

It is true that the bacteria in the gut has much to do with proper digestion and processing of food and absorption of certain nutrients, including some vitamins.

It would certainly not harm you, and very likely help you to add probiotics to your diet. As you note, you can purchase this in supplement form. Some of the better brands are often sold in health food stores and are found in the refrigeration area.

Additionally, or solely, consider eating high quality yogurt daily or every other day, as this will help to replenish these bacteria to your gut as well.

Depending on your diet, for example if you are not eating much ocean fish, you may also consider adding fish oil supplement, and/or flax seeds or flax seed oil capsules to your daily regimen. There are some studies that indicate lack of these essential fatty acids will result in not only skin disorders, but other problems such as depression.

Don't expect immediate results. Follow this type of regimen of taking essential fatty acids and probiotics and expect it to take up to 3 months for positive results to start to be evident.

For your skin, use a loofah or regular rough wash cloth to gently scrub (debride) your skin each time you bath. This can help to remove dead skin on the surface of your skin and may help to prevent the problems you are describing as well.

Also remember that good diet is important for skin health. Get plenty of veggies and fruits and whole grains, as well as lean protein so that your body has the building blocks needed for health.