Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have been looking at apartments and I've noticed some with…

Customer Question
I have been looking at...
I have been looking at apartments and I've noticed some with noticeable water damage. If I moved to an apartment with that ended up having a mild to moderate infestation of mold, could it potentially cause any permanent health problems, such as the development of asthma, or would the potential effects of mold only be temporary and not too damaging? I do not have any current health issues otherwise.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/13/2010
Health Professional: Devra K, Nurse replied 8 years ago
Devra K
Devra K, Nurse

Hello my name is***** am a Registered Nurse (BSN) with 24 years experience in Med/Surg, ICU, Neurosurgery and Behavioral Health and I would be happy to help you today.

Mold is not usually harmful to healthy people. However, when mold is disturbed, spores are released into the air and you can breath it in. Also, some molds can emit what is called mycotoxins and at high concentrations this can cause toxic effects, like nausea, headaches, fatigue and can irritate your eyes and lungs. You may also develop a sensitivity to mold over time causing rashes, runny or stuffy nose, irritated eyes and coughing.

Also remember that although the landlord may have cleaned up visible mold, there may be mold growing behind the walls, especially if there is water damage.

Depending on what state you live in there may be laws that require a landlord to tell you if mold is present. I would call your local county health dept to see if there is that type of legislation where you live.

Good luck with your apt hunt!

Sincerely,

Devra

If you found this answer helpful, please click Accept.

Feedback appreciated!