Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I was wondering about the H1N1 injection, I was told if you…

Customer Question
I was wondering about the...
I was wondering about the H1N1 injection, I was told if you were born before the 50's , we probably have antibodies built up to protect from this "flu" virus. My husbands physician told him the other day that he just finished reading this book about the "flu" of 1918 and that in Spring it was easy but in the fall in came back with a vengance and took out lots and lots of people. I am 67 and just wondering what is the right decision for me, get the shot or not?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/10/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Greetings.

The latest recommendations of the CDC are to get the H1N1 vaccine for all including the people above 65 years. The initial advisory, not to vaccinate the people above 65 was due to unavailability of the vaccine and less incidence of disease in this group. So according to the recent recommendations, you should get the vaccine. Please read the CDC advisory;

http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/vaccination/vaccine_seniors.htm

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun