A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

It's no secret that i have an anxiety disorder. cig/nicotine

Customer Question

it's no secret that i have an anxiety disorder. cig/nicotine addiction is KILLING ME! it interacts with everything and i'm also taking vyvanse anyway i have been thinking about the patch. lowest mg is 7 mg. i could cut patch in half for 3.5mg. i think it could work. is the nic released over 24 hr period? that would be apprx 0.7? 0r.15 mg? or microg's an hour per 24 hrs. i know it's not that simple but i'm trying just to get an approximation please help! ernie
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Hello, Ernie,

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Sorry, but when you cut nicotine patches you ruin the extended release capability and the whole dose (or half a dose actually) is released immediately, which can be extremely dangerous. All the brands of patches contain a strict warning NEVER to damage or cut the patches.

You can ask your medical provider about other methods to stop smoking such as Chantix or one of the other nicotine delivery systems (nasal spray, inhaler, tablets, gum).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'VE HEARD OF MANY PEOPLE CUTTING THE PATCH WITH NO PROBLEMS. ALSO, THE ANTIDEPRESSANT EMSAM PATCH I ALSO CUT MORE OFTEN THAN NOT. I'M SORRY BUT THIS SOMETHING I ALREADY KNEW BUT MY DOCTOR RECOMMENDED THAT I CUT THE PATCH.BECAUSE HE KNOWS HOW SENSITIVE I AM. PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND. ERNIE

Emsam is something completely different from a nicotine patch. You can't make generalizations between types of medications. Among the many warnings for patients taking Emsam is this one:

"Patients should be advised not to cut the Emsam system into smaller portions."

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/pro/emsam.html#ixzz0peVXk8mK

Nicotine patches are also NOT to be tampered with.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

What is incomplete? What else do you want to know?