Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

My baby is 13 months old. She has been strickly breastfed

My baby is 13 months old. She has been strickly breastfed the entire time. I am trying to transition her to cow's milk now. I fed her 1 ounce of cow's milk and she vomitted almost immediately after ingestion. Fed her 1/2 breast 1/2 cow's milk and she vomitted about 45 minutes later. Also did 2 parts breastmilk and 1 part cow's milk, she vommitted maybe an 1 1/2 hrs later. She has also vomitted after eating scrambled eggs. There is no diarrhea and her eczema does not flare up. After she vomits, she is ok. I ate dairy products during the entire time of feeding her. My pediatrician doesn't seem to think it's an allergy, just her body transitioning. What is your opinion. What other milk options could I try. I don't want to use formula, that is why I breastfed for a year.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.

Hi

For how long have you tried the cows milk?

Has she had any other dairy products?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have only tried those three times over a period of 2 weeks. She does eat cheese and has tasted yogurt and ice cream. Nothing happened with those things.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.

Hi

Great - if she can take other dairy products then I agree 100% with your own pediatrician.

If you are not keen on formula - then you could try goats milk.

However I suggest that you try and persevere with the cows milk.

Dr Jef

Please get back to me if you would like to talk some more.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How should I proceed? Do I mix it with the breast milk? Do I try organic milk? What is causing her to vomit? Should I try eggs again?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.

Hi

To be honest I would just give her plain old cows milk.

You do see some infants who just take time to adjust to the different " product."

Yes - you can certainly try her with eggs again.

Dr Jef