How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16328
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How dangerous is it if my blood results hemoglobin 11.3 and

This answer was rated:

How dangerous is it if my blood results hemoglobin 11.3 and mch is 26.8 and mchc31.2 do I have internal bleeding


Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Normal blood results vary from lab to lab depending on what equipment they use. At the one I use, normal Hbg for women is 11.7-15.5, MCH is 27-33, and MCHC is 32-36. Your results are not that far off normal. There is no way to tell from a simple blood count if you have internal bleeding, but with results this good, it is highly unlikely. Anemia is the most common cause of low hemoglobin. MHC is mean corpuscular hemoglobin. It is a measure of the hemoglobin in red blood cells. Smaller numbers would indicate a microcytic anemia. MCHC is mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration. Dilution (lower numbers) usually means a condition like iron deficiency anemia. However, these numbers all by themselves indicate nothing. They are taken along with all the rest of the blood count, any other tests that were done, and the clinical picture. The results shed no light on why you have pain under your rib cage.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Now he wants to do stool samples to see if I have blood in my stools, and gave me iron pills for amenia but the iron pills tell me not to take with antacids. Isn't that the same thing I am taking? They also ran a scope down my throat and said I have a hetial hernia but still haven't told me why I have that pain under my rib cage any suggestions. The pain gets worse when I eat or drink sometimes it feels like it gets tight. I just feel like I keep going round and round and not getting any answers. I don't want to keep taking a bunch of different pills I just want to know what it is. Oh and he also said I have a fatty liver does any of this make any sense

You are taking acid reducers, not antacids. Antacids are things like Tums, Pepto Bismol, Mylanta, etc. You should not take the iron pills at the same time as the other medications. Separate them by at least two hours. Taking the iron with orange juice (3-4 ounces is all that is needed) helps the body absorb it.

A hiatal hernia may be the cause of the pain under the rib cage. It is a defect in the diaphragm where the stomach pushes up through the musculature right where the esophagus joins the stomach. You can read more about it here.

Fatty liver can be from several things, but often is from too many calories in the diet. The excess is stored as fat in the liver. If you are overweight, then weight loss would be helpful for it. It would also help reduce pressure on the hiatal hernia.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
your blood test results are the same as what this lab is using. So in your opionion you think that with my hemoglobin being normal and the mch and the mchc is abnormal I should just take iron supplements and watch my diet. All the other results on the test say they are normal.

Yes, you should just take the iron supplements. Your Hbg is on the low side, so it is expected that MCH and MCHC will be off a bit as well since they are numbers calculated from hemoglobin.

A. Schuyler, NP and other Health Specialists are ready to help you