Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

Got as cold /sore throat and coughed up what looks like a

Got as cold /sore throat and coughed up what looks like a mixture of mucous and tissue in a mis shaped 2cm by 1/2cm mass that is in bits-no blood
What could it be
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms so that I can try. When did it occur? Its color? Shape?Any past illness? Are you on treatment for sore throat?

Regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Looked at it closer

It is a poly 2cmx1/4 cm cylindrical bag like thing with a hole at one end ,bit of stalk there too 4/5mm

I do have barrarts syndrome on anti acids and no problems with it since diagnosed 6 years ago

also a smoker -5 a day

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. Cylindrical shape with a stalk sounds like a polyp. When there is having a hole in it, a bronchial cast is also probable. This is thick mucus build up taking the circular shape of the bronchus. You can save it in clear liquid(like normal saline) & take it for a look by your doctor.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me a little more about throat polyps-are they usually benign - is it because I smoke and get still get some acid reflux

Should I worry

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Polyps can occur in the nose, sinuses, vocal cord,bronchi etc. Not all of them are cancerous. Allergy, chronic inflammation can also cause those.