How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pauline Your Own Question
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8631
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Pauline is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My doctor has prescribed Prevacid 15mg capsules to help me

Customer Question

My doctor has prescribed Prevacid 15mg capsules to help me with acid reflux.I have had the same prescription for five years. It works quite well. I rarely have acid reflux now providing I watch what I eat and avoid eating less than 3 hours before going to bed. I have recently read articles that claim long term use of prevacid is not advisable. I would like your opinion on long term use of prevacid and if recommended, how to get off this medicaton.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Long term use of acid suppressants has been associated with reduced bone strength due to reduced calcium absorption. If you do not need the drug then you can certainly stop. If you are stopping then first mention this to your doctor, then you need to stop gradually perhaps by taking on alternative days and then every couple of days for a week or so. This reduces the 'rebound' effect of stopping the medication.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Your answer did not include much help on how I can reverse or eliminate the dependance on the prescribed Prevacid. I have since comunicated with Health Science Institute Baltimore and they included use of Acidophlis and digestive enzymnese on how to remove my dependance and strengthen my sphincter to close off the acid from the esophagus. I will take my second opinion to my doctor for precise direction