Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hi, I shave my head in the shower but the razor slipped this

Hi, I shave my head in the shower but the razor slipped this time, causing what looks like a scraping of my upper forehead. It's been a week with use of Neosporin and a band aid. Right now, it's seems to be healing, but I am scared of the result. As an African American, I'm afraid that this mark will contrast with my skin, either lighter or darker---the wound is still reddish right now. Is there anything I can do to get close to my natural tone? Any thoughts on Mederma? Thanks very much.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

If the skin scraped is very thin (about one to two mm), usually in 3-6 months time, the skin pigmentation comes to normal tone and scar is quite invisible. In these case one needs to do nothing and a normal healing process is good enough to take care of it. If the skin is scraped more than this thickness, scarring can be visible and may take lighter or darker tone. Any ointment at this point of time would not matter much in whole of the process of color and only after three months of the complete healing any thing need to be done (like laser procedure or any plastic surgical procedure), if necessary.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun