Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
29944350

My son has been having many problems that his school and I

Customer Question

My son has been having many problems that his school and I are concerned about.He has been dropping things very frequently. ( dishes, books, pencil box )All which are not heavy.
He also has been falling alsleep, or passing out at school. He fell asleep while talking one on one with a teacher. She said it was like he was in a comatous. They also said that they see his eyes rolling back when he is falling asleep. He is also not aware of what is going on around him at times. The teachers also say he has trouble processing information. He is often said to be spaced out or in his own world at times.His grades have really gone down because he often
misses assignments that are given. He has gone to the docter, had blood work done,which came back normal.He recently had an EEG to check for seizures. There was no evidence of
seizure activity but I was told that his brain waves were slow.Neuro has no appointment till
end of Aug. Does this seem like something urgent??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 7 years ago.
Hello

Thanks for using justanswer.

Can you tell me since how long your son having these problem?

Does he fits?

Is there any other associated problem?

Is there any significant family history?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This has been going on since september and has gotton worse.I had been told in the past that he had trouble processing information by other teachers.He is a very smart kid and scored in the high average, superior range when he had an IQ test a couple years ago.There are no other problems.There is no history of seizure in my family, but

I do not know the family history of his father's side of the family.

Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 7 years ago.
Ok.

Based on the complains you have told me it can be case of either absence seizure ( a type of seizure disorder) wilson disease ( A degenerative brain disorder) or Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis ( post measles degenerative brain disorder ) etc. But before reaching any final diagnosis, an urgent physical examination of child by a pediatric neurologist in person is must. You need to have a Brain MRI and repeat simple EEG. As EEG can be normal in 40 % of cases despite the patient is having a disease. A holter EEG test is recomended in such cases.These diseases should be diagnose and treated as soon as possible. You need to quick and more concerns

I hope I answer your question and it is informative for you. If you have any other query you can ask and keep in mind these differential diagnosis is purely on history that you have told me and final dianosis require in person physical examination by a pediatric neurologist with out any further delay. Thanks