How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have cystitus, I'm drinking plenty of water, I,m going to

This answer was rated:

I have cystitus, I'm drinking plenty of water, I,m going to the toilet quiet alot,it hurts me now & blood in my urine,going more frequent since teatime. Have been on a course of antibiotic for a gum infection which made me have the runs & very sore, I finished them last
friday night, they were called Dalacin.
Please advice.
Liz Scott
How long have you had this cystitis?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It started yesterday, but it's worse tonight,since teatime.
Since you recently took an antibiotic you might have a yeast infection within your vaginal / urethra area. Also, you might truly have a urethra and/or bladder infection and a urinanalysis along with an urine culture should be be done, especially since you are also bleeding. In addition, with blood in the urine - you should have a cystoscopy to make sure that you do not have something 'visual' that can be seen with a camera.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What shall I do?

I would recommend that you see your doctor so that you can have:
1. Urinanalysis and Urine culture - you just need to give a urine sample
2. Depending on if red blood cells are seen - this will depend if a cystoscopy is needed (a camera in the bladder to look for possible causes of the blood).
3. Also, you should have a pelvic exam to see if you have a yeast infection (but in the mean time since it might be a bit to get in to see a doctor - you can try over the counter yeast medications such as Monistat (miconazole) or Vagistat (tioconazole).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Doctors don't open until Tuesday, shall I carry on with just water.
You can definitely continue on with water and you can try the yeast medication too if you feel you have a vaginal/urethral yeast infection - but try making an appointment to be seen on Tuesday. And, for pain you can take tylenol (acetominophen).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm on ramipril for blood pressure 5mg.
Since you are on a blood pressure medication you should stay on the blood pressure medication and you need with the blood in the urine your really need to get this evaluated - and Tuesday is okay to wait for.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do I still get the medication that you said.
You can try the medication as it might work and it will not hurt you for trying it.
Dr. Owen and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you