How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pauline Your Own Question
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8631
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Pauline is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a recent pap smear revealing abnormal cells on my

Customer Question

I have had a recent pap smear revealing abnormal cells on my cervix which i'm having a later check up about soon. however for 2 years now, i have had clumpy white diiscarge, with a yeasty smell. i've tried every possible over the counter thrush treatment, have been to the doctor and have been prescribed flagyl which clears it up while i'm on the treatment but at the end of treatment it flares up again. Other symptoms are soreness, redness, senstive clitoris giving a sharp stabbing pain when touched. I am sexually active with my partner but this was an issue prior to our relationship.
When my partner and i have sexual intercourse if say 4 times in one week, the top of my partners forskin gets dry, sore and cracks.
is this because of me?
and what do i have that no doctor can solve?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Have you had any swabs taken from the discharge?

Has your partner been tested and treated for anything?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes swabs were taken, i forgot to add that sorry, i have been tested for clamidia, and gonnohrea, my partner has not been tested/treated for anything, however as i said, this was an issue before my partner, however my privious partner also had same symptoms after frequent sexual intercourse.

i was told from swabs that is was both bacterial vaginosis and thrush, however neither treatments work :(

Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the information. The simple solution to this is that your partner is acting as a 'reservoir' for infection and although things improve when you have treatment then he reinfects you when you have intercourse.

I would start by repeating the thrush treatment with both of you using a single oral fluconazole capsule and canesten cream externally for 7 days.

Abstain from intercourse in the meantime. After that your symptoms should be better and you should be able to return to intercourse. You should also ask your doctor to test your urine for glucose to see if that is predisposing you to infection.

If the discharge continues with thin white discharge then have a repeat swab for vaginosis, this would then require a repeat flagyl but is considered not to affect partners.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sorry also forgot to mention, i have tried that.

both of us using canesten duo.

tricky? :P

Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

If both of you have tried the canesten duo pack then your next step is to repeat the swabs, and get your partner swabbed too. Then have a longer course of fluconazole. Either 50mg daily for a week or so, or a monthly fluconazole for a few months.

Do ensure that you avoid all bubble baths, perfumed toiletries and even consider switching from tampons to sanitary towels on light days.