How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Su S Your Own Question
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 20952
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Su S is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had many tests in the last 2 months to try to find

Resolved Question:

I have had many tests in the last 2 months to try to find the cause for my pitting edema on my shins and ankles. All tests have come back normal with the exception of a blood test for alkaline phosphatase being somewhat high (I was not told how high). Also, an ultrasound of my abdomen showed an angiomyopiloma on my right kidney. My doctor says it is small and left me with the decision to wait and do a follow up in 6 months or he could refer me to a nephrologist. I opted for the follow up in 6 months. I have tried to research angiomyopilomas but have not had much luck. I am looking for advice on whether to go ahead and see a nephrologist or if waiting is the best option.
For reference, the tests I have had for the edema are: TSH (3.3), 24 hour urinalysis, venous doppler, chest xray, abdominal ultrasound. I am a 35 yr old female currently on no medication. I was diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroiditis approx 1 year ago. Otherwise, no other health issues. Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.


Sorry for the problem.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. As the preliminary investigations did not find any clue it can be due to some other factors like low protein which may need to be excluded. The other cause can be idiopathic edema, where no cause is found. It is commonly seen in female. It is more common on standing, decreases when lying down. As it is going on , it will be prudent to get a consultation with a nephrologist for thorough investigations to get the precise diagnosis and intervention if necessary.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Dr. Su S and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you