CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I had a soft callus between my 4th and 5th toes. I tried

I had a soft callus between my 4th and 5th toes. I tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush, about once a week for about a month, and eventually it started bleeding after pulling too much of the skin off. I cleaned it with peroxide, and it dried overnight. Then next day after walking and standing on my feet for 12 hours at work, I noticed a pain in my foot, and it appeared to be a paper-cut-like tear in the skin between the toes and going down under the pinky toe. It's been like this for about 2 days now and it is very painful. The night before I used peroxide, and afterwards I poured alcohol on the cut, and was in excruciating pain. I have also used neosporene for the last two nights. I work 6 days a week for over 12 hours each day as a server and bartender. I always wear two pairs of socks on my feet. I am wondering if I need to go to the emergency room, or could I wait for my appt with a podiatrist in 3 weeks ? OR is there anything I can do myself right now? Thank you. Lamar
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.

Hi Lamar

I am sorry for the delay. It soulds like you may have a fungal infection secondary to the irritation. I would recommend you mix some Lotrimin cream ( antifungal) with some cortisone( helps with swelling and pain) and apply to the area twice per day, cover with cotton gauze to prevent the toes from rubbing together. If this doesn't improve in a day or so , see your Doctor. Infections of the feet can become serious. I hope this helps, please let me know if I can help further:-)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your response.However, I am questioning the response bcs. I think that my toe is bothering me bcs of its laceration due to a broken soft callus in between the toes and under now so the soreness comes from that. Is it okay to put antifungal cream on to an open cut on the toe? As I was waiting for a response I went to the local pharmacy. To purchase Epson salt, Johnsons foot soap to prepare a foot bath and soak. I also bought goldbond foot powder, gel toe spacers to allow some air to get to the area, and tea tree oil to help with the antiseptic. Unfortunately the earliest I can get to a podiatrist is 2 1/2 weeks away. I am really worried about an infection taking place. I would like to know what you think of my method and I want to know what signs do I need to look for as far as an infection? I definitley go back and get the creams if they are absolutely needed at this point. Please Help.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.

All the things you want to too are too caustic for the condition you are describing.( especially tea tree) It sounds like fungus because fungus splits and causes bleeding. It's the most likely diagnosis because by picking at the area over and over all of the normal flora was destroyed and fungus ( which is abundant everywhere) culod easily invade the area. I would really urge you to just use the two creams , atleast today and tomorrow. Youi will almost certainly see improvement.

Signs of an infection will include pus, redness, swelling.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Yo are very welcome:-)
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
I see that it did Post...I think there was a slight delay. Have a good evening and get better soon:-)