Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I had a cast on my right foot for only 4 days. Luckily I cut

I had a cast on my right foot for only 4 days. Luckily I cut it off because now I see that if I press that little spongy area on the outside of my ankle it feels like my toes are being pulled by strings. It's very uncomfortable. Like the nerve has been highly irritated. There is no numbness just some radiating pain in the big toe, next toe and middle toe. I can't put socks on because it makes it feel like hot water is running over the foot. Was wondering what is best? Ice? Heat? I just took some ketoprofen hoping that would help inflammation. I also have Celebrex on hand if that is a better choice. This feeling is very unnerving. No pun intended. I'm currently going barefoot just to keep anything from pressing on the nerve. I had the soft cast on for a stress fracture (which now is bothering me less than the nerve thing) Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

It seems that the soft cast was quite tight and compromised the blood supply of the nerve. This can take 48-72 hours to return back to normal. Ketoprofen is good as an anti-inflammatory, so you can continue with it. The extremes of temperatures are avoided; so if you want to use compresses, be careful, as the sensations are not normal and may not perceive the temperature sensation correctly. You may use luke warm moist compresses. Talking to your orthopedic specialist also would be prudent.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took the cast off Friday so it's already been 72 hours. So ketoprofen and warm compresses? Is not touching it and going barefoot a good idea? My foot doctor is down with a virus. She cancelled my appointment and I won't see her for a week. I just want to do all I can now before I see her in a week. Oh and should I keep it elavated because that seems to make it hurt worse. Keeping it elavated makes my whole leg seem to throb up to the knee.

Yes. You can continue with the Ketoprofen and warm compresses. Barefoot walking and not touching is a good idea, though just be careful while walking, taking good care of the foot.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So is it nerve compression? or nerve damage when a cast is too tight? Or do you have to wait and find out to see if it gets better or never gets better?

The nerves injury due to blood supply compromise also gets better and this blood supply disruption with the cast is partial, so there is all the good chance that it would recover fully. It is not a direct nerve injury usually but secondary to decreased blood supply to nerve.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun