How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pauline Your Own Question
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8631
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Pauline is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently noticed my left inside calf muscle was

Customer Question

I recently noticed my left inside calf muscle was significantly smaller than the right. It is immediately noticeable just by comparing the two. I recently (2 weeks go) fell a few times snowboarding so both knees are a little sore but I simply attributed this to a normal bruise. Plus I don't think the muscle deterioration due to nerve damage could happen so quickly? What would cause this? Is it normal? and what kind of doctor should I go to in order to get it looked at?

CORRECTION: I can walk fine. There was a typo.

ADDITION: I measured and the left calf/leg is 1 ench smaller in circumferance than the right when measuring at the widest area around the calf musle.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

If the right leg is an inch wider than the left and this is a new finding then you need to have a deep vein thrombosis ruled out. the fact that there is no tenderness to the calf muscle does reduce this being a DVT but only an actual evaluation can be sure that this is benign.

If DVT has been ruled out, or this is a long standing issue then it may be due to either muscle wasting secondary on the left secondary to nerve damage, or increased muscle bulk on the right due to imbalance in exercise.

But there is no way to be sure so the first thing is to see your family doctor who can then refer you as appropriate.