Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I am 26 years old and am having trouble with weight gain.

Customer Question

Hi i am 26 years old and am having trouble with weight gain. I'm 5'9" and about 225 lbs. I've tried dieting and exercise and the most i've been able to drop is about 15 lbs, only to gain in right back. For me to lose weight at all, I can only consume about 1500 calories a day. Any more than that and I gain. Could this be a medical thing or am I destined to be heavy?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Are you exercising at all - ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't specifically exercise that often, but I do play basketball and baseball. I also work a job where I am on my feet and active all day long.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
The best way of keeping weight off besides watching your diet - is by exercising at least 60 minutes 4 times per week - and giving it what we call an 'honest' effort. Many people are on their feet all day - but the problem is that you are not in the 'fat' burning stage - and only aerobic exercise can do this.