Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

I have had a few pap smears in the past that all came back

I have had a few pap smears in the past that all came back normal. I also have had no pelvic infections, diseases, or any STD. Because I personally believe in waiting until I am married before having any sexual relationships, so I have never had sex. It has been fifteen years since my last pelvic exam. I don't know why, but I am too afraid to have another one, and since I have never had any kind of problems in that area I have let my fear win. Have you ever had a patient who was afraid enough to do what I have, and how do you personally treat that patient and help them through it?
DearCustomer
Hello.Perhaps a good anxiolytic will help you bring down your inhibitions.It would not be a good idea to stay away any longer to have your PAP smear done.Perhaps a discussion with your family doctor who may like to treat this as a compulsive obsessive disorser and give you some drugs like Fluoxetene/Cloimipramine for it along with Buspirone as a anxiolytic.That would perhaps be the best line of action,as your Gynaecologist/PCP will help you out .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I can completely understand your anxiety over having a pap smear done, especially if your last one was several years ago.

What is important to understand is that why it is important to get pap smear. Pap smear is recommended for even women who are not sexually active. Pap smears screen for cervical cancer which can happen in any woman.

As you probably remember, pap smears only take few seconds to complete. You would probably be more comfortable going to a female gynecologist. You may take something to decrease your anxiety prior to the exam. You can go with something natural, like Valerian root, or you can ask your GP to prescribe you a small dose of Xanax. This will help your anxiety lower prior to the exam.

It is important to get this pap smear done. The good news is that you dont have any symptoms of any problems so there is nothing to fear. Knowing the reason of why it is important to get pap smear done, should help you get you through setting up the exam. A few days prior to exam you can start taking either Valerian root or Xanax to decrease the anxiety.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green "Accept" button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss