Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

I WOKE UP WITH TWO LARGE BRUISES, ONE ON EACH SIDE OF MY LOWER

I WOKE UP WITH TWO LARGE BRUISES, ONE ON EACH SIDE OF MY LOWER BACK. NOT PAINFULL ,THEN LATER THAT MORN MY HEARING SOUNDED LIKE I WAS IN AN ECHO CHAMBER AND I WAS A LITTLE UNSTABLE ON MY FEET? ANY IDEAS?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I have a few questions. I hope you understand. Did this happen this morning? How do you feel now? Any other medical conditions, particularly high blood pressure or others? What medications and supplements do you take? If you do have any blood pressure issues and have a home blood pressure monitor, what is your blood pressure now? Any dizziness or lightheadedness? What color are the bruises, and are they dark or light? Any recent medical procedures? There is no history of trauma to the area, such as recent sport contact, etc? Please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THERE WAS NO TRAMA. I TAKE DIRETICS FOR BLOOD PRESSURE. MY BLOOD PRESSURE IS VERY GOOD. THE BRUISES ARE REDDISH BLUE LKE NORMAL BRUISE WHEN YOU FIRST GET ONE NO OTHER MEDICAL CONDITIONS

Hello;

Thank you for responding to all the questions. Believe it or not, unexplained bruising can be a red flag for other underlying problems. When someone presents with lower back bruising, there are a few things that should be considered and ruled out. Obviously, trauma is the common; however, it sounds like you don't have any history that would indicate trauma. The next thing to consider would be a back injury. Generally, when a person has a back strain or injury, there is pain involved. You do not complain of any pain. At this point, the next thing to consider is hemorrhage. Certain types of hemorrhage, such as aortic, pancreatic, gastrointestinal, and retroperitoneal hemorrhages, can present as bruising in this area. Generally, pancreatic hemorrhages are associated with pancreatitis, which is quite painful; however, the other types of hemorrhages can be slow and painless. The other thing to consider is a coagulation disorder, such a low platelets. At this point, I would have to recommend calling your provider's office. There should be a provider on call. I would probably discuss the situation, including the echo chamber feeling (which could be related to volume loss). I am limited in my abilities, due to the internet format, so you should consult your provider; however, I do want to provide you with some teaching. If you develop any pain, change in level of consciousness, rapid heat rate, cold/clammy skin, fast respirations, spontaneous bruising or bleeding in other areas, please seek care. If you have any additional questions or need clarification, please let me know. Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WHAT WOULD CAUSE LOW PLATELETS TO BE LOW?
There are a number of things that can cause platelets to be low. Autoimmune disorders, cancers, alcoholism, medications, and viral illnesses can cause some low platelets---just to name a few. However, in many cases, the cause may not be known. This is called idiopathic thrombocytopenia. Generally, if someone has a platelet disorder, he/she would notice other spontaneous bruising and bleeding, such as gums when brushing teeth. At this point, the bruises are not necessarily a symptom of a bigger underlying problem. However, given the potential for underlying issues, I would still recommend consulting a provider. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Lisa
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU LISA...................BRUCE

You're welcome. Take care. Lisa