Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS
9208484

Why do I smell like maple syrup?

Customer Question

Yesterday, I noticed a strong smell of maple syrup... I realized it was me when I went home and still smelt it the next day. I  showered and scrubbed my skin and it seemed fine but an hour after my shower, I started smelling like the syrup again. What can cause this? Should I go to the doctors? I am being completely serious, its really odd.

Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.

Hi..

How old are you.. Are you on any medications?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am 25, female... I am only on birth control, which I have been on for over 3 years, and have never switched.

Other people can smell the the odour as well. Its not just me. It is mostly coming from hands I feel.

Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 7 years ago.

It is unusual for a healthy female on medicines to suddenly develop a body odor like maple syrup. This is rare but is seen in some metabolic disorders. These rare disorders are trimethylaminuria, maple syrup urine disease etc. In both the disorders there is incomplete break down of certain amino acids in the body, which can cause this peculiar smell. Other possibility is diabetic ketoacidosis. But that is usually accompanied by other symptoms like increased thirst, increased urine output, weight loss etc. To determine whether you have any of the metabolic disorders, you would need to undergo plasma and urine amino acid levels, before starting treatment. I would recommend you to consult your doctor for a detailed evaluation.

Regards

Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD, MS