Karen RN, BSN
Karen RN, BSN, Nurse
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in Med Surg nursing, Oncology, Neurology, Home health and Hospice
18951377

I am a 60 year old female. I have thin skin on my arms and

Customer Question

I am a 60 year old female. I have thin skin on my arms and hands and have a problem with severe bruising with only minor bumps or even scratching my own skin. The forearms are the worst area and I find the problem seems cyclic. At times it is much worse and the slightest bump causes an ugly bruise. Can I take any supplements that might help with the problem? I am on no medication except for Evista for osteopenia. Also take regular daily vitamins, calcium with D and fiber. Otherwise am healthy, active and retired living in the tropics so am pretty stress free.
Category: Health
Expert:  Karen RN, BSN replied 7 years ago.

Hi, Thank you for contacting Just Answer. This condition you are describing is quite common in persons who have been exposed to taking cortisone type of medications for many different reasons. If you have not taken any of these medications in the past we must look to other causes.

This is a condition that occurs as we grow older due to the natural process of thinning of the vessels and thinning skin. If you are extremely light complected this may occur earlier for you.

It would be helpful for you to take Vit K (if not contraindicated with other medications, the list you gave me says it should be OK.) and large doses of Vit C. Eat green leafy vegetables. Use SPF ultraviolet lotion on face arms and any exposes areas when in the sun. Actually that means when you will have any exposure to the sun, not just when you are sun bathing. This should be reapplied every couple hours if you are outside for lengthy periods of time. I hope I have helped you.

If I have answered your question please click on the green ACCEPT button so I will be paid. Karen

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did have a cortisone injection in my foot in November and one in my shoulder about 10 years ago but no others. Also the condition seems to come and go. Sometimes the slightest bump causes the bruises and I will get several at a time and other times I will go weeks where I don't seem so susceptible to them. What does the Vitamin K provide that helps with the condition?

Vitamin. K has an effect on the bleeding time. Decreasing the easy bruising you are experiencing. The Vitamin C and K will work towards making the capillaries and vein walls stronger. Also avoid using aspirin products and alcohol.

PS Did you really mean to only pay $1 for this question??

Please click on the green ACCEPT button if I have answered your question.. Also a bonus is appreciated. Karen

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the answer. I checked to box for the one time answer and paid what was requested of me for the question.

Thank you Karen