Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I am a little worried about my 18 yr old daughter who is 36

Customer Question

i am a little worried about my 18 yr old daughter who is 36 wks +5 pregnant.
she had a 4d scan as a gift and was told that she had little water (4 or 5 at that time)
at 29wks she went in to prem labour but it was stopped
at 34 wks she went into hosp again with contractions
6 days ago she heard a pop and on monday her hind waters leaked she had no strong contractions just dull pains and was told to go to hosp again....she was told that she was 3cm dilated kept overnight then sent home, without a further vaginal exam.
1pm yesterday she had a couple of hrs of strong pains which then stopped. i am worried that things are not quite right and she needs to be closely monitored or induced but she rang a community midwife today who said not to worry and just to go in if she goes into labour.
laura
her water several wks ago measured
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Most likely if she is not having contractions 'regularly' then there should not be a concern, but I would recommend another cervical check since she is 3cm and this is her first baby - and if she is 4 cm or more, then she should be admitted.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about the level of fluid it seems to always have been low but noone has really mentioned this...i know other people who had had more fluid and have been induced...im worried there may be a risk to the baby
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
If she has low fluid level then she needs to have this evaluated - and if she has this truly is a low level, then this is called oligohydramnios and she will need delivery, even at her current gestational age.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
her waters actually measured 4 then 3.8
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
If this is a single deepest pocket measurement, then a level greater than 2 cm is good.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

she went to see the midwife at the hosp last night as baby not moving much.

baby moved 3 times in 20 mins while being monitored

they didnt do a cervical check to see if she had dilated further and the midwife actually told her not to worry as the baby couldnt just fall out!!

she rang her community midwife today and asked to see her explaining her worries and was told that she could not be seen until tuesday!

am i right to be concerned with her history and a mean average fluid lvl of 4 or am i getting stressed for no reason?

if i am right to be stressed how can i get out UK midwives to actually listen and take our concerns seriously???

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

Today we use something called SDP - single deepest pocket - we do not use AFI any longer - so if this is a SDP of 4 - then this is good - but the midwife should have checked the cervix, and find the fetal heart rate too.