How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Tiwari Your Own Question
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 5256
Experience:  M.D.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.Tiwari is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has very small feet. junior size 12 to 13. She

Customer Question

My wife has very small feet. junior size 12 to 13.
She suffered as a new born a foot complaint which meant that her feet were put into a cast so as to correct them.
She now suffers pain in her feet.
If her feet were put in casts, did that mean that the achilles was spread too tight around her heel?Would this limit normal growth?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Will you please answer some questions-
1.Is there any present deformity in her feet like elevated heels or high arch foot ,etc?
2.What is the exact site of pain in feet?
3.What are the aggravating or relieving factors?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1) feet are very flat., there is no heel as such more a right angle than the 70/80 degrees it normally is.

2) all along the sole.

3) Normally a calf stretch seems to help her.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for information.

By looking at your details it looks that your wife would be suffered from a foot deformity generally a varus deformity like CTEV of mild to moderate degree for correction of which cast was applied.
Generally the common complication arised from corrective cast for correction of deformity is rocker bottem foot which may give the flat feet with displaced joint at the naviculo talar joint of the foot.
The flat feet itself is a cause for the painful feet as there is increased stress on the joints of the feet which does lead to early wear & tear changes in the joints of feet.You should do following to gibe her relief-

1.To avoid greater stress on her feet she should do exercises of her planter muscles for this she may curl & open her toes for at least 3 times in a day with a set of 100 at a time.She should practice to walk in sand.

2.Put a medial arch support in her shoes which will keep the foot arch in normal state.

3.Take a mild analgesic like advil for relief for few days.

4.Do warm water fomentation at feet at least foe three times a day for relief o pain as well to make feet supple.

Hope this will help her.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Dr.Tiwari and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there anything surgical that could be undertaken?
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.
It is nice to see you again.

There are surgical treatment for the flat feet but they should be used as a last resort.The surgical treatment consist of -

-Soft tissue operation like tendon lengthening,tendon debridement & tendon transfers.

-Bony operation like lateral column lengthening to improve the appearance of medial arch,osteotomy & bone transfer infront of the calcaneocuboid joint,tibiocalcaneal fusion,triple arthrodesis or pantalar fusion.

If your wife feel very much troubled & if there is severe pain with bony changes & articular degeneration then you should go for surgical option.In that case it will be helpful in relieving pain & improve function but if it is not there then please go for conservative measures like different orthotics & physical therapy methods which can be very helpful.For this your podiatrist may be very helpful to you.

Hope it will help you.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.