Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

In 1973 I was diagnosed with recurring pericarditis. The

In 1973 I was diagnosed with recurring pericarditis. The cause was never identified. Is there any possibility that my pericarditis could have been caused by exposure to dioxin. I served in Vietnam from March 1968 and December 1968 as a combat infantryman in the 1st Cavalry Division and was heavily exposed to Agent Orange.
Thank you.
Steve Root
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hello Steve

The cause of Pericarditis is indeed often idiopathic (or 'unknown') -especially when the major/obvious things have been ruled out like heart attack, viral infection, or if it's due to an already pre-existing condition that one knows they already have (such as Lupus or other autoimmune disease). Having said that, bot***** *****ne is that Pericarditis is an inflammatory process. So, anything, that enters the blood stream could be a cause...even certain medications. So, it stands to reason that this teratogen (Dioxin) could certainly be a causative agent. I have done some quick research on the internet while typing you this answer and I see that there have been many documented cases of chemical-induced Pericarditis such as from pesticide, herbicide, and fungicide inhalation as well as aluminum phosphide. So, although I do not see any articles yet (still looking) on documented cases of the link between Dioxin and Pericarditis, I am sure they exist.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Will I be provided the references to cases linking dioxins to cause pericarditis?

Yes, if I can find some valid documented cases, I will be happy to give you the links.