CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Urologist..bladder..multiple spine surgeries of the slew..cath

Urologist:My daughter was in an accident and spent 45 days in hospital on a Foley.She is showing paralysis of the anal and bladder sphincters.They don't know if it's from the accident, the multiple spine surgeries of the slew of narcotcs (still on oxycodone and gabapentin).They switched us to a straight cath and sent us home.All was fine until the striaght cath stopped working. There were tiny mineralizations clogging it; we tried five times...same results. Off to emerency where they put in a 20F Foley...they sent us home and said get the Foley out in a couple of days. On the way home she peed over a liter, then she took a nap, when she woke up there were millions of bubbles in her line. 2 in. in Foley box like a head on beer in the Foley box.It was the weekend and no where to go so I had her drink lots of water, straight cranberry.They lines all cleared for 24 hours; we want to get the Foley out....but I see bubbles again. What are the bubbles from. Urinalysis said no infec. or yeast
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. Bubbly or foamy urine is not considered abnormal in a new catheter, but it may indicate protein in the urine, an infection ( already ruled out) , air passing through the urethra with urine (pneumaturia), or forceful flow of urine due to excessive air in the urine as it contacts water(pneumaturi) or fistula ( open communication)between the bladder and the colon. You could ask the Doctor to remove the catheter and allow straight cathing again if he feels it would be beneficial. He may want to leave it in a bit longer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm confused abou the term you use fistula (an open communication between bladder and colon) Why would something like that happen? Does that mean there is a breech?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.

A vesicovaginal fistula is an abnormal connection between the urinary tract and the vagina. The term vesico refers to the urinary bladder. This is the most common type of urinary tract fistula.