Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Good day My mother is 77 and for the past couple of months

Good day My mother is 77 and for the past couple of months she has this constant sweet taste in her mouth. It is driving her to the point that she is just not eating anymore and actually withering away. Please do help, I am desperate. In case it is of consequence, she had new dentures made a couple of months ago and we thought it could be as a result of this, due to the dentist adding something to them to make them fit better. I look forward to your expert advise. Greetings Jenni
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

Apart from diabetes, medications, metabolic disorders and gastrointestinal disorders can cause sweet taste in mouth. Medications cause dry mouth and lead to growth of some bacteria which gives sweet taste. Oral hygiene is another issue which need to be considered for the causative of sweet taste in mouth. People who are on weight reducing diet and are burning fat faster can experience sweet taste in mouth.

But since diabetes is one of the commonest and she has high blood sugar; this issue should be further investigated.

A fasting blood sugar and post prandial (after eating food) blood sugar level are sometimes normal or only just high. In these cases a glucose tolerance test is needed which is done after drinking 75 gms glucose and taking blood sugar levels at half hourly intervals. It detects sugar intolerance. Glycosylated hemoglobin is another investigation which gives average blood sugar levels of last three months and would rule out or rule in diabetes. In her this is likely to be responsible for the sweet taste in mouth.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Good day Dr Arun

Thank you for your replies. Is their any possibility that it could be related to her dentures? To my recollection this whole issue started after she had new denturs made. She appears to be convinced of this.

Jenni

You are very welcome and very good day to you.

A denture can be issue if it is responsible for the inadequacy of proper oral hygeine. As mentioned, this accumulates the bacterial flora causing sweet taste.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun