Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am a 35 year old female. I noticed about 2 months ago that

I am a 35 year old female. I noticed about 2 months ago that my legs and hands felt swollen for much of the day. I've also noticed that when I press on my lower legs, it leaves an indent and it takes a minute or two for it to go back to normal. This only happens when I press on my shins. I'm wondering if this is related to the Hashimoto's thyroiditis that I was diagnosed with about 6 months ago. I am currently on no medications and my next follow up appointment is in 3 months.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

When were your last thyroid function tests done?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My last thyroid function tests were done in August 2009. TSH 3.05 and free thyroxine 1.07

Your present swelling on the shins can be due to hypothyroidism. Hashimoto thyroiditis has a definite risk of going in hypothyroidism (low thyroid functions) later in the course of disease. Your thyroid functions should be repeated and they are likely to show hypothyroidism.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is it safe to wait 3 months until my next scheduled follow up appointment with my endocrinologist or should I try to get in sooner?

Also, is the indentation of the skin a result of the swelling or is that a normal occurence?

A prior appointment is needed for a physical exam and investigations. The indentation is due to the swelling.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun