How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Family Physician Your Own Question
Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12816
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
Family Physician is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born with hip dysplasia on both sides. One side

Resolved Question:

I was born with hip dysplasia on both sides. One side corrected itself within the range of normal (right); the other required surgery, which I had at age 3. Now I am 51 and my right hip is causing me great pain. When I am walking or shifting positions in the car, I feel instense pain in the front through the joint and it locks up so that I feel it won't support me. I am having it x-rayed tomorrow, but am still rather worried about this development. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 7 years ago.
Individuals with hip dysplasia are at increased risk for the development of arthritis. It is impossible to determine the cause of the pain, or the severity of any arthritis that you may have developed without an examination and X-ray.

If you have not yet been examined by an orthopedic surgeon, that would be my suggestion at this point. One of the over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve) may be helpful in reducing pain and inflammation.
Family Physician and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you