How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 999
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive had some blood tests done with a physical in the last 2

Resolved Question:

Ive had some blood tests done with a physical in the last 2 weeks. All seemed fine. How come after I eat I feel lightheaded and confusion. Can it be my blood levels ? Also I just checked my blood pressure and it was 116 over 65. pulse 58. Also, I cant seem to hold down liquids . I drink and then like 10 minutes later ill use the restroom. Bowels have been normal.
Any idea ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

Have you been checked for diabetes?

The two problems that you are describing could be the result of a blood sugar problem.

If you are feeling lightheaded and confused after eating and urinating frequently, that could indicate that your blood sugar levels are out of balance.

Sometimes diabetes or pre-diabetes can be diagnosed from a single fasting blood glucose reading. Other times, a complete Glucose Insulin Tolerance Test needs to be performed.

Another accurate blood test which is not routinely performed is the Hemoglobin A1C.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Dr. David
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hmmm, ok .. I had the blood tests done with the physical and the doc said the gluclose levels were fine. I had 3 blood tests done by 3 diff docs just to make sure I was healthy.
Do you think I should buy one of those home blood sugar tests ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

Another way that you can monitor your blood sugar levels is with a home test kit.

Though it is not as accurate as a test from the doctor's office, I believe that it could provide you with some valuable information about your blood sugar levels.

Normally, blood sugar levels should be between 70 and 100 mg/dl in the fasting state. After a meal the value typically rises to between 150 and 180 mg/dl. Then within an hour or two the sugar levels go back down close to the starting level, around 100 mg/dl or less.

If the glucose reading rises up to above 180 mg/dl after a meal and stays that high for more than a few hours, then that is an indication of diabetes. Or if the blood sugar rises to over 200 mg/dl at any time after a meal, that is another possible indicator.

If the glucose reading falls to below 70 within a few hours after a meal, that is an indication of another condition known as reactive hypoglycemia. It is not as serious as diabetes, but some believe that it is a predictor of future diabetes risk.

Dr. David
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dont you think that the blood tests would have shown high or low levels of sugar levels ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

As I mentioned previously, a fasting blood sugar level is not always adequate as a tool for identifying diabetes, even if it is repeated a number of times.

The two other tests that I mentioned, the Glucose Tolerance Test and the Hemoglobin A1C test, help to catch instances of diabetes that are not found with the fasting glucose.

Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic web site describing the test:

Type II diabetes is a progressive illness that manifests itself over time. If it is identified early enough, then there is an excellent chance of reversing it through simple dietary measures. Whereas diabetes that is allowed to reach its latter stages can only be treated with more invasive therapies.

Dr. David
Dr. David and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you