How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.S.A.Alam Your Own Question
Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4469
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr.S.A.Alam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An ache, not pain, middle of chest, just below ribs or

Resolved Question:

an ache, not pain, middle of chest, just below ribs or sternum. Reoccurring episodes a week or two weeks apart. No vomiting , no dierehha but on the verge of both.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question,
is this discomfort related to food intake ?
is there any shortness of breath ?
any feeling of rapid heart beat ?
does this discomfort extends into left arm or back ?
any tests done ?
any previous illness ?
any medicine you are taking ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Probably not related to food intake. No shortness of breath or chg in heart beat. No discomfort in arms, some in back, though. No tests done, no previous illnesses (except this one). only meds = 81 mg aspirin and 1 Ocuvit /day

Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your input,

This problem need evaluation as

1) This can be due to heart problem in cases of heart ischemia or low blood

flow to the heart muscles there is some times pain and sometimes discomfort, it can be

felt in the middle of chest just below ribs or sternum in cases where such discomfort is

felt in the back shows its possible origin is in the aorta(largest artery).

2) second option includes stomach ulcer, when stomach ulcer is present in the

posterior wall of the stomach its pain or discomfort can be felt in the same area (as you

explained) and it can radiate to back.

To diagnose the cause exactly you require a simple EKG to see whether it is heart

problem or not, as in your case if this turns out as some problem with aorta then it will

require tests like CT chest to see for any dissection or dilation of aorta(EKG may be normal in case aorta is involved).

If these tests are clear then your possible diagnosis is gut ulcer an its exact diagnosis

is made by endoscopy of the gut.

I hope this answers your question.
Dr.S.A.Alam and other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions