Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

my back and down the sides of my hips..burning sensation..right thigh

I recently have been diagnosed with herpes. I have read symptoms and have been told symptoms but after a week i have had a painful pins and needles sensation all around my butt and a bit up my back and down the sides of my hips and about a 1/4 down my thighs.It seemed to have started faiding but Now after about 3 or 4 days it has turned into very painful tender and a bit burning sensation mostly down the inside of my right thigh and slightly on the outside. So tender even when my pants move agianst it while walking it hurts. Does this have to to with my herpes or is this something else? Should I be concerned enough to go to the doctors tomarrow or in a few days?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

Greetings and welcome,

did you take any drugs?

did you have any test done?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the first week i did a topical cream called zovirax 5% and today was the first day i started to take an oral medication valacyclovir hcl 500mg. Also at first they did a swab test of the out break and just today i had my blood drawn to test if it is herpes 1 or 2
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

The symptoms of herpes may last a few weeks and the treatment is symptomatic.The antiviral drugs may help in decreasing the severity of the symptoms.

You may continue the drugs like zovirax as prescribed by your doctor.

Here is the link for more information

herpes treatment

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So you didn't answer my question. Is my extremely tender, painful thigh pain associated with my herpes or something else more serious? I can't wear pants because the rubbing on my leg hurts and its too painful to walk.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

The pain may occur in such lession of the symptoms and you may take the antiinflammatory drugs for the control of pain.

You may consult the doctor further for the prescription drugs.The pain may be due to worsening of the condition as well and is due to inflammation associated with it.It is known as post herpetic neuralgia and is due to nerve irritation.The antidepressant drugs like imipramine , is also helpful in such cases.

You may also apply warm compress to lessen the symptoms.

Here is the link for more information

herpes treatment

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do have doubts about your guess because your web site that you provided and many others that I myself studied says that postherpetic neuralgia is only related to the area of skin where someone has had a shingles out break. After the shingles has been healed from the skin, people then get what your talking about. I have never had shingles?? I have tried to look up where postherpetic neuralgia is a linked complication or symptom of herpes 2 and have found nothing. Last night I tried a hot shower and warm compress/heating pad, and then I gave into taking hydrocodiene and that didn't take the pain away enough to sleep. I think I am going to go see my doctor and it looks like I get to be your 2% negative feedback. Thank you for taking your time but I am dissatisfied. I will accept though because you did take your time to guess and help me. Thank you for that.
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 7 years ago.
I suggest that you see your GP to discuss Zoster (shingles) and be tested for varicella antibodies. Ther are some effective treatments for post-neuriotic pain.
Be well