Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
4968719

Have managed to boil milk pan over today then melt

have managed to boil milk pan over today then melt microfibre cloth onto hob plate. about an hour ago fell asleepin armchair in kitchen after putting kettle on the hob and woke up to find hob bright red, kettle completely dry and glowing red and nasty smell in the room. I have been ill for a few days and have not slept well for 3 nights. What nasty things am I likely to have breathed in, are they likely to do immediate or long term harm and are they likely to have harmed my dogs. My lungs don't feel too good but I started 4 days ago with swollen tonsils and sore throat so guess the new symptom could be something to do with that too.

Thank you for submitting your question.

You most likely inhaled a small amount of sulfur dioxide, which is released by burning metal.

A brief exposure to sulfur dioxide is not going to cause serious damage to your lungs/your dog's lungs. Lung damage is usually associated with long-term exposure to high levels of sulfur dioxide(e.g. workers in metal recycling facilities).

Symptoms of lung damage from sulfur dioxide include acute shortness of breath, wheezing, and copious amounts of phlegm.

I believe your symptoms are from a respiratory infection, rather than exposure to sulfur dioxide.

I hope this answers your question.