Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

My son is 14 his cbc show that ast was 1780 and alt was 1177

Customer Question

My son is 14 his cbc show that ast was 1780 and alt was 1177 took him to the dr because the whites of his eyes looked yellow what could this mean
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. Given the labs, particularly the level of elevation, and the yellow discoloration of his eyes, it is possible that your child may have some inflammation of the liver and possibly biliary system. At this point, this is not enough information to really narrow down the cause. Many different things can cause these types of elevation. Most people are familiar with hepatitis A, B, C, D viruses; however, liver inflammation can also be caused by a number of other issues, such as common, acute viral illnesses. For example, some teens with mononucleosis can develop hepatitis and associated jaundice. If your son has been acutely ill, there may be a partial explanation. At this point, more evaluation has likely been recommended. I suspect his provider has at least requested an ultrasound or scans. I hope this helps to explain. If you have any additional questions or need further clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
has not recommend anything further also on his labs globulin was high, total protein was high, creatinine was just a little high, alb was low, a/g ratio was low, hdl was low only 16, hemoglobin and rbc was low if this helps you any.

These labs too make me think that is some inflammation. I suspect a possible viral illness. However, the labs alone aren't enough information to definitively identify a cause. Patient history and assessment are necessary to consider. Since the provider did not recommend any follow up. I suspect he/she may have recommended some re-check blood work. When it comes to blood work, a trend is important. If your son has his labs drawn again and the labs demonstrate a trend more toward normal values and his jaundice begins to resolve, then this would be very reassuring. At this point, I don't think there is any need to really panic. However, if his provider has not recommended any re-check labs, you may want to discuss this with the provider and see if it can be arranged. I hope this helps. Lisa