Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

With staph infection, is there a disorder called mercer,

with staph infection, is there a disorder called mercer, mercier? A friends infant may have come in contact with this malady.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I suspect you are referring to Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). This is sometimes called "mersa," due to the MRSA initials. This may be the "mercer" or "mercier" you mention. At any rate, her risk is related to her exposure. For example, if the person has a MRSA skin infection, and the wound was covered and the child did not come in direct contact, then the child's risk would be less. If you would like to tell me about the exposure, I would be more than happy to provide information regarding risk. At any rate, MRSA is usually treated with antibiotics and can be reported to the child's pediatrician. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa