How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 890
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
Type Your Health Question Here...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

With staph infection, is there a disorder called mercer,

Resolved Question:

with staph infection, is there a disorder called mercer, mercier? A friends infant may have come in contact with this malady.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.


Thank you for writing in today. I suspect you are referring to Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). This is sometimes called "mersa," due to the MRSA initials. This may be the "mercer" or "mercier" you mention. At any rate, her risk is related to her exposure. For example, if the person has a MRSA skin infection, and the wound was covered and the child did not come in direct contact, then the child's risk would be less. If you would like to tell me about the exposure, I would be more than happy to provide information regarding risk. At any rate, MRSA is usually treated with antibiotics and can be reported to the child's pediatrician. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. Lisa

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN and other Health Specialists are ready to help you