A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

IS THEIR A WAY OF FINDING OUT HOW SOMEBODY LIKE MYSELF GETS

IS THEIR A WAY OF FINDING OUT HOW SOMEBODY LIKE MYSELF GETS IT, HAD HIV TEST TWICE AND BOTH WERE NEGATIVE. AND CAN IT SPREAD ELSWHERE AND WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. There is no way to tell exactly when someone got HIV. Most people will test positive within 3 months of exposure to an infected person and everyone who has the disease will test positive within a year of exposure. There are gneerally no symptoms until the person has had HIV for years. Some people get a viral-type illness within 3 weeks of exposure, but it is usually attributed to flu and not diagnosed. Naturally, if they don't have it, it can't spread.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I HAD BLOOD WORK DONE IN DECEMBER FOR LIFE INSURANCE WITH THE RESULTS BEING NEGATIVE, AND AGAIN BLOOD WORK DONE WITH MY REGULAR DR AND IT WAS NEGATIVE,HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR ONE YEAR AND 2 MONTHS. CAN CANDADIS OF THE ESOPHAGUS SPREAD ELSEWHERE AND CAN I FIND OUT WHY I GOT IT? ARE THE HIV TESTS USUALLY ACCURATE?

Hi again,

HIV tests are extremely accurate, and any equivocal result is double-checked with even more sensitive methadology before it is even reported. Since you had two tests, there is no chance of HIV. A fungal infection in the esophagus can spread if it is not treated, but antifungal medication generally takes care of it fairly promptly so that isn't a worry. Anyone can get any infection so there really isn't any way to say "why" you got it any more than you can say why you got a head cold or the flu. As for "how" you got it, there are fungi everywhere.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE DOCTOR HAD GIVEN ME DIFULCAN TO TAKE FOR MY ESOPHAGUS TO TAKE, NOW IT SEEMS LIKE I HAVE IT IN MY NOSE, WENT AN EAR NOSE AND THROAT DR AND HE GAVE ME NASAL SPRAY

It sounds like your physician has the situation well in hand. Those are typical treatments.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NOW THAT IT IS IN MY NOSE. CAN IT NOW HAVE TRAVELED ELSEWHERE?

The infection in your nose didn't necessarily "travel" from your esophagus. Fungi are everywhere in the environment and it can be a separate infection. You can catch it again and again.