Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

My 60 yr old husband (who was very strong, healthy, fit,

Customer Question

My 60 yr old husband (who was very strong, healthy, fit, active) has been fighting colorectal cancer for the last 3 and half yrs. Radiation, chemo, major surgery to remove large tumor and rectum, followed with permanent colostomy, followed by more chemo, year later small metasis to both lungs (left lung nodule removed), development of abdominal fistula (drained a yr ago). Recently, CT scan (after 3mos of chemo) shows no further growth of tumors or fistula. CEA count stays btw 26-29. Our confusion/frustration: he has severe, intense, knee buckling pain in his lower back, and sometimes down back of his legs. For the last 2 mos takes 40-60 mg Oxycontin daily. What could be causing such pain? Are there specific test to try and locate source of pain? Any suggestions or directions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 7 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for your question.

Yes. You can do a CTscan of the spine (dorsolumbar region) to lok for any spinal nerve root compression by disc lesion or bony spurs.

Another possibility is a metastasis to the vertebrae which may be the reason for the pain.
You can also do blood tests to detect metastasis which although indirect may be helpful . For eaxmple serum levels of alkaline phosphatase, calcium levels .

I hope my answer is helpful to you. For accepting the answer, please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button.
I would be highly obliged for a POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS from you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response!

Would a CT scan (which my husband had on Nov. 13) be able to show metastasis to the spine? What about an MRI - would that be helpful in locating possible reasons for the intense pain?

The CT scan done lately would be helpful if it has shown the dorsolumbar vertebra entirely.

Otherwise an MRI although expensive, would be much more informative.

Thank you for accepting the answer. Hope your husband gets well soon.