Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Please can you help me. I have stomach distention, which

Customer Question
happened out of the blue...
Please can you help me. I have stomach distention, which happened out of the blue in May/June with dreadful pain in my stomach, back and legs and has left me feeling sick and full so have not been able to eat. I can only shuffle around at home and cannot drive/walk or wear my clothes because of the size of my stomach which has still not gone down. I have had various addmissions to hospital and a sigmoidoscopy showed unspecified colitis then had endoscopies which showed scattered diverticula but colitis than completely gone. I have had x-rays, hida scan etc which were normal. I try drinking ensures but they make me feel too full. I have been prescribed antispasmodics, peppermint oils, anti-sickness tabs, all of which have not helped/worked. I tolerate the pain because tramadol made me constipated and I just dont know what is wrong with me and how much longer I can cope for. Many thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
12/1/2009
Health Professional: Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN) replied 8 years ago
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)

Hello

I am assuming you have had your gallbladder scanned to rule out gallbladder disease or stones?

I have scans of my gallbladder, liver, kidneys and mri for my back which were all ok

Ok, thanks. We have a Board Certified Gastroenterologist here on the site...I will see if they can give you some possibilities.

Please hold while I see if they are available.

Thank you very much

You are very welcome. Please hold.

Health Professional: Internist, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Have you had an ultrasound and if so did it show any evidence of fluid?
I also have had an ultrasound which was normal,
With all the tests that you have had that have come back normal a couple of things come to my mind. First if your doctors have not already done so you should rule out a food intolerance such as gluten. A simple blood test can c suggest gluten sensitivity and if this is positive it would be confirmed by a biopsy of the small intestine. Also as one gets older he or she can become less tolerant to lactose-containing products that are present and milk and dairy foods. I would recommend that you try cutting down on these types of food and see if that helps you if you have not done so already. if these things do not come back positive or do not help you and you are left with near interval bowel syndrome. The following may help you understand this diagnosis and be able to treat it better.
With IBS you need to make sure no other serous diseases are present. Some serious diseases may present with bleeding or weight loss. This means you may need to have tests such as colonoscopy, possibly biopsy, barium X-Rays and stool analysis for infection to rule out other diseases such as celiac sprue, colitis, infection, or tumor. With IBS no physical abnormalities are found. This is why it is called a functional disease.
Once these tests are done, and they are up to the your doctor's discretion, this diagnosis is made. If your symptoms are very suggestive of IBS your doctor may not want to perform every test.
You may have IBS-diarrhea predominant, constipation predominant or mixed symptom IBS. All types are accompanied by discomfort in the abdomen.
In constipation predominant, you need to take adequate fluids, fiber and bulk in the diet, 2 tbls. twice a day of a water soluble psyllium product such as Metamucil or Citrucel. Also salad twice a day. You should progress slowly to avoid cramps and gas.
In diarrhea predominant, ispaghula husks 2-3 sachets daily, anti-diarrheal agents such as Imodium or Lomotil can be used. Anti-spasmotics such as hyoscine OTC may be tried but have side effects. Anti-depressants have possible use as does peppermint oil (200 mg capsules 2-3/day).
Probiotics, good bacteria, such as Activia may be helpful in both types.
There is no scientific evidence to support alternative medicine options.
Some foods may make symptoms worse and you must exclude those that have a bad effect. Some examples are beans, cabbage, broccoli, carbonated beverages and dairy products. Small frequent meals instead of three large meals may help. For gas and bloating, OTC meds containing simethicone ( Gas-X Mylicon) may help.
Some feel that non-absorbable antibiotics may be helpful in certain patients with bloating.
Behavioral therapy such as bowel training and psychotherapy may help in some severe cases.
Here is an informative website:
http://www.iffgd.org/
*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
I had slready explained that I have been unable to eat for six months so it can not be food intolerance, but those tests were done and came back fine. Can you please explain to me why, if you suggest it coulde be IBS, can I not walk/drive and an mri for my back was fine
I cannot answer why you cannot walk or drive as I was trying to address your GI symptoms.
Sorry but I am so frustrated but can you tell me if ibs can be so extensive that it causes severe mobility problems, thank you
IBS would not cause mobility problems
*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.
Do you have any other ideas of what could be causing my problems as I was fully mobile before my stomach distention, many thanks. I have had an mri for my back which was normal.
no more
Internist
Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)