Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

I have been married for 30 yrs and my wife still finds

I have been married for 30 yrs and my wife still finds intercourse painful.
We did separate for a while and she had intercourse with another man and did not find it to be painful. We do not have rough sex so that wouldn't be the reason. She is embarrassed to ask her GYN. Her GYN has never found anything wrong with her. Can you help us?
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

I understand that this is a delicate question and your wife's unwillingness to ask her gynecologist.

I would need to ask you a few extra questions in order to be able to assist you better.

Do you use any lubrication during intercourse? Is the size of your penis larger then average? Is there any unusual curvature to your penis?

Thank you for your time.

Julia

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No we don't need lubrication. She is well lubricated and there is lots of foreplay...in fact she usually has an orgasm prior to intercourse.
Well I guess that my penis is alittle bigger than average...mostly in girth though. But nothing unusual. I mean, I know men with penises alot larger than mine and their wives or girlfriends don't seem to experience pain.
No curvature either.
See what I mean!!! I am so frustrated! Please help!

I have a few additional questions and I do understand your frusturation.

Can you describe where her pain is? Is it on the outside of the vagina? Is it deep inside where the cervix is? Is the pain mostly present while you do initial penetration or throughout the intercourse? Ever any blood afterwards? Does she get frequent bladder infections after intercourse?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well she is not home at the moment so I would have to say that it is throughout the intercourse. In fact she mostly says that she just wants it to be over with. Sometimes there has been alittle stain on the sheets.
Never any bladder infections.

Thank you for you reply.

There are many causes of painful intercourse that range anywhere from psychological to physical.

Given the fact that most pain is throughout intercourse (and not during penetration) it can rule out several causes right away.

Other causes which are more common could be contractions of the uterus during intercourse which will cause pain, overgrowth of tissue in the vagina causing what is known as hyperplasia, and even though you said she seems to be well lubricated, inadequate lubrication is a very common problem (especially if she is approaching menopause). Water based lubricants are recommended (do not use Vaseline as it can actually cause irritation to vaginal tissue).

I am also going to suggest a possibility of a psychological factor even though this is not very common. I dont know your relationship and how you feel towards each other so I am unable to make a stronger point on this issue.

I understand that this is a delicate question, however, without your wife's willingness to discuss this issue with her gynecologist, a cause may not be found. Most of the time there is a physical cause for painful intercourse and that is why it is important to discuss and address with her doctor. She might want to consider seeing Urogynecologist which is a subspecialty of gynecology and might be more beneficial but if not available any gynecologist should be able to assist.

Inadequate and incomplete sexual relationship definitely puts a strain on a relationship and if your wife is interested in preserving a long-lasting and happy marriage, unfortunately she will need to turn to her physician for help. I am pretty certain that this is not anything you are doing wrong.

I hope this information is helpful to you and turns you towards the right direction. Please feel free to let me know if you might have any other questions I might be able to assist you with.

Best wishes,

Julia

uterine contractions

inadequate lubrication (water-based lubricant, not Vaseline which can be harmful to vaginal tissue)

overgrowth of vaginal tissue